Wellsboro Varsity Wins First Game Over Troy.

By: Karen Spink | Wellsboro Gazette | September 12, 1974


Friday night the Wellsboro Varsity football team opened the season with a victory over Troy. Despite numerous penalties, the Hornets came through late in the fourth quarter to win the game 20-13. This is the first time in seven years Wellsboro has beaten the Trojans and the crowd loved every minute of it.

Troy started the game by kicking the the Hornets, who soon found they could do nothing and were forced to punt. But a five yard penalty was called against Wellsboro. They punted again and were charged with another penalty. When the Trojans finally received the ball, they were called with a 15 yard penalty and Wellsboro took over on Troy's 37-yard line.

The Hornets then marched downfield deep into Trojan territory, and with eight minutes left in the first quarter, Steve Copp handed the ball to senior Linford Jones who scrambled nine yards through the middle for a touchdown. Tom Young kicked the extra point to give Wellsboro a 7-0 lead.

But Troy was not going to give up this early in the game. They drove to the Hornets' 30-yard line, where the going got rough and the Trojans punted. Wellsboro fumbled the ball on their own 10-yard line and recovered it. Troy's defense held them and the Hornets were once again forced to punt.

With the clock showing a little more than two minutes, the Trojans had a touchdown. The extra point was no good and the score was Wellsboro 7, Troy 6.

Now it was Wellsboro's turn to do their thing. Senior Quarterback Steve Copp had a 15 yard run to the Trojan 30-yard line, and on the next play Tom Young carried the ball to the 23-yard line. Then the buzzer sounded and the second quarter had begun.

After two minutes of play Steve Copp raced nine yards to paydirt. Wellsboro had widened their lead to 13-6. Both teams exchanged the ball a couple of times before Trojan Quarterback Rich Kendall forged his way across the goal line and then the extra point to tie the score 13-13 at the half.

Late in the third quarter Linford Jones sparked a drive which was stopped by a tough Trojan defense on the one-yard line. The score at the end of the quarter was still tied 13-13. Then, Wellsboro's Darryl Kauffman intercepted a pass for the Hornets in Trojan territory. But with six minutes left, Wellsboro punted, a Troy receiver touched the ball, and the Hornets jumped on it. Wellsboro was now at the Trojan's three-yard line. Quarterback Steve Copp left the game injured and was replaced by Kevin Spink. On third down from the two-yard line, and time running out on the clock, Spink handed the ball to Jones who broke through the right side of the line for the go-ahead and winning score.

Troy had one more chance to score but on second down, a long desparation pass by Kendall was picked off by Hornet sophomore Safety Jeff Coolidge. Wellsboro then proceeded to run off the few remaining seconds on the clock and in doing so, won their home opener by a score of 20-13.

The next Hornet game is Saturday beginning at 2:00 p.m. at Athens.