Hornets get shut out by Jersey Shore in a delayed game.

By: Chris McGann | Wellsboro Gazette | September 21, 2005


Wellsboro vs. Jersey ShoreThings just seemed to go wrong last Friday night in Wellsboro as the Hornet football team recorded their first lost of the season.

The Jersey Shore Bulldogs (1- 2) shut out the Hornets 32-0 in a game that was delayed an hour and a half. The delay was caused by a combination of a power outage to the field and thunderstorms in the area. Once the game finally got under way, the announcers found that the public address system was not working. As a result, there was no play-by-play of the first half.

Wellsboro head coach Chris Morral stressed that the delay did not cost his squad the game.

"Coming into the game, I thought we would be more emotional," Morral said after the game.

As they prepare for this week's contest at Towanda, the young Hornets need to overcome adversity and play with the emotion that was evident in their first two wins of the season.

"We need to get some of that emotion," Morral said. "We play best when we have that emotion."

During the first half, Wellsboro put together some good drives, but could not break a big play to put the ball in the end zone. Meanwhile, the defense gave up some big plays, allowing Jersey Shore to put points on the score board.

On the first drive, the Wellsboro defense recorded a solid effort. The Bulldogs drove as deep as the Wellsboro 27-yard line, although a penalty put the ball at the 33-yard line.The Hornet defense forced Shore quarterback Tyler Jarrett to throw incomplete on third down in the face of pressure from Chris Copp, Levi Hewitt, and Chet Johnson. Jarrett again threw the ball away on fourth-and-11 and the Hornets took over at their own 33-yard line.

Wellsboro gained some yardage on their first possession. However, they were forced to punt on fourth-and-six at the Bulldog 46-yard line. The snap went over the head of punter Jake Coolidge, who recovered the ball and wisely threw an incomplete pass.

Shore then found success with the ground game as Sam Eck, Jeremy Brooks, and Andy Myers all recorded runs for gains. The drive ground to a halt in Wellsboro territory under penalties and pressure from the Hornet defense, who recorded a stop for a loss and a sack when Jarrett could not find any takers on a hand-off.

Shore punted out of bounds to the Hornet 21-yard line and the Hornets recorded one rush for a two yard loss before the end of the period.

The first quarter ended in a 0-0 tie.

On the first play of the second frame, Tim Shaw's pass was picked off by Jersey Shore, Four plays later, Wellsboro's Pat Clark recovered a Shore fumble and the Hornets were back in business, starting at their own 14.

The Hornets again put together a long drive on rushes by Jesse Tom and Jake Monks, as well as completions to Zack Luczak and Cameron Hubbard. The drive sputtered out at the Jersey Shore 28-yard line as Shaw started to come under pressure from the larger guys on the Shore defense. Shore forced two straight incompletions on second and third down. On fourth-and-17, a screen pass from Shaw to Tom netted the Hornets only two yards.

Shore took over deep in their own territory, but their first play was a long run by Joe Laffredo. Johnson was finally able to take Laffredo down at the Wellsboro 25-yard line.

Four plays later, Jersey Shore put the ball in the end zone. The extra point kick hit the cross bar and bounced through to make the score 7-0.

On the next drive, Wellsboro was able to march to midfield, but a fumble by Tom gave Shore the ball with 43 seconds left in the half.

Jarrett's first pass attempt was broken up by Hubbard, but his second pass was a touchdown strike to Myers. The extra point was no good and Shore took a 13-0 lead into the locker room.

In the second half, Wellsboro was able to get little done offensively as they went three and out on their first possession. On the Bulldog's subsequent possession, Jarrett hit Eck for a 49 yard touchdown pass on their third play. The extra point was good and Shore took a 20-0 lead.

That would end the scoring in the third quarter. Wellsboro did get two more possessions in the quarter, but could not get much done in the face of pressure from the Shore defensive line. On the Bulldogs only other possession of the quarter, Wellsboro's Abram Dennis recorded a five yard sack and Luczak brought pressure that forced a key incompletion on third and long.

On the second play of the fourth quarter, Shore's Eck ran for 17 yards to put the ball at the Wellsboro four-yard line. On the next play, Myers took the ball into the end zone. The extra point kick was wide left and the Bulldogs extended their lead to 26-0.

Operating with mostly second string players, Jersey Shore added another touchdown before time expired.

Coach Morral gave credit to the Bulldogs. "They really showed up to play. They did a nice job," he said.

Wellsboro (2-1, 2-0 NTL) now travels to Towanda to take on a tough Black Knights squad Friday night, September 23.