Hughesville tops South in final minute.

By: Ben Burrows | Williamsport Sun-Gazette | October 29, 2011


Facing nearly the length of the field and having just 26 seconds to do so, Hughesville did the impossible - it won.

Trailing 27-21, the Spartans drove 70 yards in just 26 seconds to score and defeat South Williamsport, 28-27, Friday night in South Williamsport.

After Tyler House connected with tight end Heath Newcomer to put the Mountaineers up, Hughesville answered with a 70-yard drive that ended with Hughesville's Tyler Potts holding the game-tying touchdown in his arms while the scoreboard read all zeroes after Greta Newhart kicked the game-winning extra-point.

"Our kids just don't give up," said Hughesville head coach Andy Brown. "We can you say about a group that with 30 seconds left goes the length of the field? Our kids just never quit. This stuff just doesn't happen."

The drive started with a quick 12-yard completion to Potts on a comeback. Then, with just 15 seconds left, Justin Lambert connected with Potts again, who was streaking up the sideline, on a 48-yard completion to put the Spartans on the 10-yard line with six seconds to go.

"The play before that their corner jumped a lot on the comeback," Lambert said. "So we faked that and sent him (Potts) down and he got out of bounds."

An incompletion left just 1.4 seconds left on the clock for one final play. Lambert dropped back, turned to his left and fired the ball to Potts who ran that same comeback into the end zone before falling in front of a South Williamsport defender with the ball in his arms.

"He was doing a comeback and coach said he had to get into the endzone, so I had to wait a little longer," Lambert said. "I just tried to shoot it in there before the safety could get over to him."

The extra point from Newhart - which she had to make twice as South Williamsport jumped offsides, forcing Newhart to rekick - sailed through the uprights and ended what was a career day for South Williamsport's Tyler House.

House, whom passed for 236 yards and two touchdowns on the night, picked apart the Spartans defense before standing on the sideline as he watched Lambert drive his team to victory.

"Tyler has been working extremely hard," South Williamsport head coach Chris Eiswerth said. "He has been working through some growing pains and I'm very pleased with him and the team. That's just a tough one to swallow."

The remarkable thing for Hughesville was the fact that they were able to pass the ball effectively after almost exclusively running the ball for most of the game before the final drive.

"I was pretty nervous," Brown said. "Honestly, us being in shotgun-we have practiced it so it wasn't new-we just haven't been really good at executing it. We just tried to get it up there so we at least at a shot at the end. Potts ran the route right and Justin delivered it perfectly."

Before Lambert's two highlight reel passes on the final drive, House was part of the two best plays of the game.

House connected with a diving Newcomer to put the Mountaineers up late while also finding a diving Michael Hall in the right corner of the endzone on the first play of the fourth quarter to tie the game and swing the momentum in South Williamsport's favor.

"I told them it's one of the greatest football games I've ever seen," Eiswerth said. "The kids played their hearts out."

Despite House's big completions, it was Lambert's pass to Potts as time expired that stole the show and cap off the impossible drive.

"We just never make it easy on ourselves," Brown said. "It was close but here we won it at the end. Nothing has come easy but our kids just never stop fighting."